Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) regarding Tuition Assistance

  • Question: How much money can I receive in a year? (Pertains to FTA and INGSS)
    Answer: Visit, click Service Scholarship tab, read the memo under the POLICY section. INGSS generally goes up every year, GoArmyEd-FTA $250 per credit hour, $4,000 per fiscal year.
  • Question: How do I apply for GoArmyEd-FTA, INGSS, and GI Bill?
    Answer: Go to Then select the perspective program tab on the left; Service Scholarship, CH. 1606, and GoArmyEd. 
  • Question: When will I know if I’ve been approved for Tuition Assistance?
    Answer: There should be two emails sent for INGSS. The first email will tell me that the Education Office has received my application; the second email will tell me that it has been approved or denied. For GoArmyEd-FTA, there should be an email sent, if no email has been received I contact my unit.
  • Question: Who is paid the money for Tuition Assistance?
    Answer: Only the school gets paid directly.
  • Question: When is the money paid for tuition assistance? How long does it take?
    Answer: For INGSS usually the school will request the money after the drop / add date. For GoArmyEd-FTA, the school is eligible to invoice after 19% of the class is completed.  Once the invoice is received by GoArmyEd, payment is usually made within 30 days. .
  • Question: Where do I turn in my grades?
    Answer: Current grades no longer need to be turned into your education office. Schools must report grades directly into the GoArmyEd portal within 45 days after the end date of classes.  Grades from previous classes will need to be sent BY YOUR SCHOOL to your education office.
  • Question: How do I get college credit for military schools I’ve attended or for military experience?
    Answer: Visit, and then click Joint Service Transcript tab. If my schools are not listed in my file, I need to call the 1-800 number posted on the web site.
  • Question: What college assistance (tuition, GI Bill, etc) am I eligible for?
    Answer: You may be eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance(GoArmyEd), State Tuition Assistance (INGSS), GI Bill (Ch. 30 & 33 only), and Kicker.
  • Question: Who should I contact if I have questions?
    Answer: Your unit should always be your first point of contact. If you have contacted them and still have further questions, please call 515-252-4468.
  • Question: How does a deployment affect my benefits?
    Answer: Your GI Bill benefits will change during and after a deployment.  Information regarding these changes will be discussed during Pre-MOB briefings and De-MOB briefings.  While deployed, you may also have access to an Education Center depending on location of Mobilization.