MONTGOMERY GI BILL: Selected Reserve 

(MGIB-SR) Chapter 1606 

Montgomery GI Bill- Select Reserve Ch1606.pdfMontgomery GI Bill- Select Reserve Ch1606.pdf​ *GI Bill Kicker.pdfGI Bill Kicker.pdf​ 

Effective 4 May 2021, the TA/MGIB-SR restriction has been removed! This means that RC SMs enrolled in a half-time or more program of study may now receive their TA and MGIB-SR benefits simultaneously for the same course.
GI Bill Uses:
All training institutes, programs of study, and employers must be approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs before a soldier can use their GI Bill benefits. Ask the place of training if the program you are interested in, is approved for GI Bill benefits by the Department of Veteran Affairs. The following is a list of different types of training soldiers may take and use their GI Bill benefits:
  • On-the-job training programs
  • Apprenticeship training
  • Schooling (College or University)
  • Flight training
  • Correspondence courses
  • Cooperative training

For participating employers: 

Eligibility Criteria: (Must satisfy all below)

  • Obligate to serve at least six-years in any Reserve Component on or after 1 July 1985 (Enlist or Extend).
    • Officers: obligate on DA Form 5447, Officer Service Agreement.
  • Complete required IADT Initial Active Duty Training (BCT, AIT, OSUT, BOLC) and become MOSQ.
  • Meet the requirements to receive a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
  • Maintain an active drilling status (satisfactory participant and satisfactory performance).

GI Bill-SR Eligibility Limits:
  • Eligibility begins at the time when a soldier meets all the eligibility criteria.
  • Soldiers have fourteen years to use or lose their GI Bill benefits from their date of basic eligibility or until they leave an active drilling status, whichever comes first.
  • Soldiers are entitled to a maximum of 36 months of GI Bill benefits as a full-time student or they receive a pro-rated amount for less-than-full-time study.
GI Bill-SR Application Process:  

How to Obtain a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE):
  • First, FTUS- look in GIMS and under the GI Bill Program tab, look to see if there is a date where it says NOBE Print Date. If there is a date where it says NOBE Distributed Date, that means the NOBE has been printed and put in the iPERMS Soldier file.
  • Second, FTUS- look in the Soldier’s iPERMS file under the service section. The title should read "Notice of Basic Eligibility"
  • Third, FTUS- if you have looked in both places and there is no NOBE, email or call the education office with the Soldier’s name and at least the last four of the SSN and they will get a NOBE to you as soon as possible, if available. Or the GI Bill Manager will need to conduct manual updates to the system in order to notify the Department of Veteran Affairs of the Soldiers effective eligibility.
  • Things to remember: Soldier does NOT get a NOBE with out having a HS diploma or equivalent, 6 year obligation, and AIT qualified (DD 214). These documents must be permed or sent to the State GI Bill Manager before a NOBE can be distributed.
  • POC for this is Education Office, GI Bill Manager, 515-252-4468.
*The NOBE is a document between Service Component and Service Member. This document is not needed for GI Bill use and not needed for VA school certifying officials. 
*The NOBE is frequently confused with the CoE (Certificate of Eligibility). The CoE is needed in order for the Service Member to recieve their GI Bill funds. The CoE is supplied by the Department of Veteran Affairs upon GI Bill application submission (refer to the application process section above).

GI Bill Payment Process: 
*** Verifying your enrollment status each month is required before the VA will make a payment to your direct deposit account.
Soldiers must do this at the end of each month. This action is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and verify your enrollment online. VA ID # is the Soldiers SSN.

​The Soldier can complete this multiple ways:
  • ​o Call: 1-877-823-2378
  • o Online:
  • o Text: The VA will send a text if your mobile number has been provided, requesting your preference for verifying enrollment by text message. - You will reply “Yes” to opt-in to verify enrollment via text. *This text link will expire 14 days from receipt. 
  • - If you choose to opt-out, you will need to call the Education Call Center (ECC) every month to verify enrollment or to change your text message preferences. 
  • - You can opt into verification by text message at any time by calling the ECC at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)​
GI Bill-SR Termination or Suspension of Benefits:
Once GI Bill entitlement is terminated, benefits are lost forever.  In some cases, GI Bill benefits are suspended.  In these cases, soldiers have up to one year to return to an active drilling M-day status or have their entitlement terminated forever.  The exception is if the soldier was performing Missionary service.  In that case, a soldier has up to three years to return to an active drilling M-day status.
Eligibility can be suspended and reinstated only once during a soldier’s eligibility period.  Below are common conditions that cause suspension or termination of GI Bill benefits.
  • Transfer to Inactive National Guard (ING) (Entitlement is suspended up to one year and then terminated).
  • Honorable Discharge (Eligibility is suspended and reinstated only if soldier returns to an active drilling status within one year).
  • Title 10 or 32 AGR program (Eligibility is suspended)
  • Unsatisfactory Participant (Eligibility terminated with recoup).
GI Bill Recoup of Payments:
Soldiers who fail to participate satisfactorily will have their GI Bill entitlement terminated with recoupment.  Recoupment is based on the total amount received divided by 72 and then multiplied by the number of obligated months remaining on the soldier’s contract. GI Bill recoupments come from the VA or the DoD. 
For additional questions please review the FY21 VolEd Policy and the GI BILL Manager Handbook