New to the Iowa Army National Guard?

  • Not sure which Tuition Assistance program to apply for?
  • Want more information about how the Tuition Assistance programs work?
The link below is a tutorial designed to give you individual guidance on which Tuition Assistance program to apply for and when to apply. It will also answer the most commonly asked questions about Tuition Assistance.

The National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP)

This is a state funded tuition assistance program that pays schools "up front" for the cost of tuition for the soldier.
  • GoArmyEd and NGEAP may be used together! 
  • Iowa Resident (determined by The Adjutant General of Iowa)
  • Active members of the Iowa Army or Air National Guard (satisfactory performance of duty)
  • Have completed Initial Entry Training (Basic Training & Advanced Individual Training)
  • Not met requirements for a baccalaureate degree
  • Attending a North Central Association (NCA) accredited community college, university, or private college or university in Iowa
  • NGEAP Letter AY 2016-2017 (8Aug16).pdfNGEAP Letter AY 2016-2017 (8Aug16).pdf
  • Change 2 NGEAP Letter AY 2016-2017 (30Dec16).pdfChange 2 NGEAP Letter AY 2016-2017 (30Dec16).pdf
FUNDING: Based on annual appropriation by the Iowa state legislature, NGEAP pays at least 50% of the tuition rate at state Board of Regents schools (Iowa, Iowa State, University of Northern Iowa) or 50% of the tuition rate at the institution attended by the National Guard member, whichever is lower. Funding levels for this school year have been set at the 100% rate. NGEAP does not cover summer courses. NGEAP funds school between August and May.
APPLICATION: Apply online at Iowa College Aid.
      How to apply for State Tuition Assistance (NGEAP)
DEADLINES: Application Timeline, applications must be submitted by 1 July for the Fall term and 1 December for the Spring term. Applications received after the suspense date will not be accecpted.
THE PROCESS:  The Education Services Officer approves the applications from an online database.  The Iowa College Student Aid Commission (ICSAC) produces an approved roster which is sent to the schools.  School officials verify the soldiers are enrolled and request payment from ICSAC.  ICSAC releases funds to the schools and the schools then credit the soldiers' accounts.  The approved roster is also sent to the Education Services Officer and placed on Army Knowledge Online (AKO) in the Education File.
Note: If a soldier changes schools between semesters or is attending two schools at the same time (community college and a university) they need to inform the school(s) that they are receiving NGEAP.  The school will not automatically see the soldier on the approved roster if they switched schools or are attending two schools.