Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
This bonus can be used to pay off up to $50,000 in existing student debt. To qualify, applicants must score 50 or better on the AFQT (ASVAB). Loans must be Army National Guard qualifying loans (examples: Stafford (subsidized), Stafford (unsubsidized), Supplemental, Loans for Students, Federally Insured, Consolidated Loan Program (CLP and SMART), William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program). State Student and Parent Loans are not eligible for the SLRP.
Reenlisting / Extending:
Soldiers reenlisting/extedning under a previously executed SLRP contract signed after 1 March 2009 must meet the following rules:
(a) Must reenlist/extend for 6 years within the authorized extension window established by the SRIP policy without a break in service from the original SLRP contract start date. Note: 09S applicants are not eligible.
(b) Loans that were in default on original contract signature date are not eligible for repayment on the new 6-year reenlistment/extension.
(c) Must be DMOSQ in the same, original contracted MOS on the reenlistment/extension signature date and agree to serve in that MOS for 6 years, unless the MOS is changed due to convenience of the government.
*Loans must be Federal qualifying loans.
If you signed a Student Loan Repayment Program contract after 5 June 2012 you must stay in your unit your for contracted period. Exceptions listed below:
(1) If you enter into an officer producing program and accept a commission. Officers are authorized to transfer units.
(2) If you accept a promotion slot in a different unit the transfer order must state Command Directed not Individual Request.
(3) If you are reassigned as an Instructor in an Regional Training Institute (RTI) in an MOS Immaterial (00F) or the contracted MOS duty position you may your current incentive.
(4) If you are reassigned to an Instructor/Drill Sergeant position within the Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP) in an MOS Immaterial (00F) or contracted MOS duty position may retain his or her current incentive provided you remain qualified in your contracted PMOS and meets all other requirements for the SLRP.
If you Deploy:
YOU as the soldier, who owns the student loan, need to call your lender and place the loan into forbearance or deferment for the length of your deployment. You will need to provide your lender a copy of your deployment orders before you deploy.
DD Form 2475, DoD Educational Loan Repayment Program (LRP) Annual Application (while deployed):
- You need a Power of Attorney (POA)
- Should arrive 2-3 months prior to anniversary date of contract.
- (POA) will sign a DD 2475 that is sent to the last know home of record of the soldier.
- (POA) will return the DD 2475 to the education services office.
- Education Services
7105 NW 70th Avenue
Camp Dodge Joint Maneuver Training Center
Johnston, IA 50131-1824
There are currently only two available Loan Repayment Programs for officers. If you are Chaplain you may be eligible for the Chaplain Loan Repayment Program, or if you are a Health Care Provider, you might be eligible for a Health Loan Repayment Program.
Any questions or issues with SLRP contact the following:
SLRP Manager, IA
SGM Perkins, Timothy
IA-ARNG Education Technician
SGT Fisher, Christopher